Macaroon batter (total weight: 33½ oz):
- 8 oz ground almonds
- 9 oz icing sugar
- 3 oz egg whites
- 7½ oz sugar
- 2 oz water
- 3½ oz egg whites
- ½ tsp. powdered egg whites
White chocolate strips:
- 6½ oz white couverture
- 1 vanilla bean
Grand Marnier® orange preserve:
- 10 oz orange marmalade
- 3½ oz Grand Marnier® Cordon Rouge liqueur
- 10 oz white couverture
- 1 oz cocoa butter
- Sift the icing sugar and ground almonds together twice.
- Heat the sugar and water to 118° C and add to the warmed and lightly beaten 100 g of egg whites and powdered whites.
- Combine the 90 g of raw egg whites with the icing sugar and ground almond mixture and stir into the meringue. Work the mixture until shiny.
- Place template on a Silpat mat and pour in 300 g of batter and spread out.
- Bake on a sheet at in a ventilated oven at 170°C for 6 min.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool.
- Temper the couverture.
- Add the seeds scraped from the vanilla bean and the bean itself and spread thinly onto a plastic sheet.
- As soon as the couverture has hardened, cut into 10 x 2 cm strips.
- Heat the orange marmalade and stir in the liqueur.
- Let cool.
- Combine and temper.
- Fill one half of the macaroon with the orange preserve (6 g).
- Top with a chocolate strip and cover with another macaroon half.
- Dip the base of the Finger Macaroon into the white chocolate.
- Let harden.
If you have a coffee machine with a steam nozzle, use it to heat the milk and spoon the foam delicately atop the coffee. For thick, unctuous foam, use whole milk rather than skimmed.
Grand Marnier® takes this unctuous coffee to new heights with its subtly oaked, vanilla notes of cognac and orange flavour.